RSS

Monthly Archives: December 2010

Dose of toughen-up!

G’day,

It appears that some programmes that require floating point graphics rendering are locking – xlib-lock – these programmes being gCAD3D and Blender.  I am unable to find the cause and am unable to regress to an earlier save due to the losses I reported on my external HD.  I am considering restarting again as ealier iso versions of Ultimate and PuppyTLC do not have this issue!  I have desperately avoided restarting as, frankly, is very disheartening.

But the cause is bigger and more urgent than my sooks!  With all the current work done this process should take no longer than a week to get to where I am now (maybe a bit longer – I would like to enjoy my xmas).  I will also purchase a new external HD that will solely be used as a backup.

<sigh!>

Martin

Advertisements
 
Leave a comment

Posted by on December 20, 2010 in TLC CE Linux

 

Consolidation!

G’day,

Slowly doing screenshots of the applications.  Planning to do a DVD size iso so I can test it on a computer with internet capabilities.  Also, screenshots of internet based applications are needed.  I will be releasing this DVD to the Puppy Linux community.

During Internet testing will find out if Seamonkey will access those site which require Firefox3+.  If that works will be able to remove Firefox 3.6.10 and create a little more room.

Removed: Firepup (Yes my favourite little web browser is gone – its a little extraneous).  Also, I have removed the locale’s as much as possible.  I don’t think this will interrupt the applications.  (needs testing)

Made the Menu more descriptive.  Fixed a bug with prboom, may need to install heretic and hexen as well to complete the prboom menu list.

Consolidating what’s  works and what’s extraneous is the order of the day.

Starting my work shift for the next 5.5 days so will update Tuesday next week.

Cheers

Martin

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on December 15, 2010 in TLC CE Linux

 

Self imposed delays

G’day,

Well this just proves I have a life beyond linux and computers.  This delays has nothing to do with said subjects but was the result of myself having fun and enjoying life.  Basically, the delays have been caused by going to a MUSE concert, and arrival of a new member of the household (kitten Runcibella)  and tomorrow I go and see U2 in concert.  So development has slowed a little bit!

But it hasn’t stopped development.  I have reduced the number of fonts from 600+ to around 100ish.  Most of them will be placed in the extra data file.  After some feedback I also have made the menu more descriptive ( as we are dealing with either novice or straight windows users – or both).  And I’m getting down to the serious job of screenshots for the Help Section (now called ‘Getting Started’).

An unfortunate side-effect but with a positive spin-off is that when I released the alpha version to the Puppy community I think there was an expectation that it was a ‘normal’ puplet.  But this isn’t as it will only be installed by TLC members; who will know what their doing. But on a more positive note I have identified road-blocks for non-linux users.  These will be dealt in Puppy Ultimate.

Cheers

Martin

PS.  Due to the problems with initial testing I may suspend the OS downloads until the next version comes out.

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on December 8, 2010 in TLC CE Linux

 

First fix!

G’day,

I am an unsophisticated nob!

Well initial testing proved disappointing.  In the last 2 weeks I have only tested the LiveCD on my 512mb lappie.  Previous to that was a AMD K6 400Mhz with 64mbs.  However, I now find that the LiveCD will only boot on 512mbs or more computers.  Burning the midnight  oil made me discover that it is the huge number of fonts; which seems to have to be registered or logged on start-up.   I had only included the fonts in the LiveCD test a couple of weeks back.

There are over 600 fonts and this was a problem.  I have tested and solved this by taking out most of the fonts and placing them in the data-file. Someone did mention that the number of fonts was too much and I must agree so I slimmed it down to around 100 fonts.

At some later point I will have the extra fonts available as a separate download.

Another issue is the installer for the extra-data file.  It doesn’t work as expected – if the download is significantly interrupted, it will move on to the join process which is incomplete.  So I’ve ditched this for this time and have made it a manual download.

Ok! The first try was a failure but you tend to learn quicker if you fail.  As the old saying goes “The most successful people have failed the most”. – Well it give me heart that one day I will get it right.

Anyway, I have tested this fix on my old machine and it works fine; and pfix=ram now flies on machines with less than 256mbs due to those pfix=noram changes I made.  Not sure why at this point….

Hope to have the changes uploaded some time next week.  Thanks for your patience.

Cheers

Martin